Tarah and EJ interview Robin Memel Fox MA, BC-DMT, LPC, Board-certified Dance/Movement Therapist with over 25 years of experience working in the field of mental health and wellness. Robin has worked with individuals, couples, families and children in both community mental health and treatment centers. She has extensive expertise in trauma, relationships, addiction and couples/family systems.
This episode explores trauma and its effects on individuals and couples. They define trauma, explore treatment options and help couples learn how trauma can create challenges in self-regulation and conflict resolution. The concept of Embodied Healing is explored, which can help couples become more in tune with themselves in order to feel more connected with their partner.
Info on Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs) and Post Childhood Experiences (PCEs)
Books on understanding trauma and healing (not exhaustive list):
- The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma by Bessel van der Kolk M.D.
- Waking the Tiger: Healing Trauma by Peter Levine
- Transforming the Living Legacy of Trauma: A Workbook for Survivors and Therapists by Janina Fisher
- The Complex PTSD Workbook by Arielle Schwartz, PhD
- The Post-traumatic Growth Workbook by Arielle Schwartz, PhD
- Healing Developmental Trauma, How early trauma affects self-regulation, self-image, and the capacity for relationship by Laurence Heller, PhD and Aline LaPierre, PsyD